Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Middle School Part II

Last night was the completion of the Middle School Match Play tournament and the end of the season.  Again, there were two 6-hole rounds.


As told by Jacob:


First 6-hole match: I played an 8th grader named Jon who was left-handed.  I won the first hole, 13, with a par.  He won 14 and 15.  On 16, I stuck my drive (my hybrid) 10 feet from the hole.  I made that putt to win the hole. 17 was not a good hole for me.  I had some water trouble with a lake in the middle of the fairway.  Lucky for me, John had a rough time in the woods and we both maxed the hole with an 8.  All-square going to the final hole.  Jon crushed his drive and parred the hole.  I had a 8 foot putt for par but barely missed it.  On to the next match.


Second match: I played a kid named Brandt who I've beaten before.  He won the first hole, hole 1, then a par gave me a win on the second.  We tied the third.  But an uphill putt with a break to the left on 4 cost me the hole.  5 is a par 5 and Brandt made a par and I bogeyed.  The two of us now can both say we've won against each other! :)
Waiting to tee off amidst kids two and three years older than him



Not too hot in May but still need a drink


I'm my own caddy walking to my ball


My 3 wood




Walking the fairway


Marking my ball for a putt I later made


Waiting for my opponent to hit


Used my putter just off the green


Watching the ball


Came up a little short


Hole 16


Took advantage of a chance to sit and rest


Made this 10 foot putt to birdie the hole


The last hole - missing this putt could cost me the match


Broke to the left


Disappointed I missed that putt and gave John a chance to win, which he did


In my backswing, all the way back


Contact with the ball


Follow through and watch where it goes





A 10-foot putt I could tell was going in so I started walking toward it to get it out of the hole!


Still walking...


In my pocket it goes


Waiting for the group ahead of us to leave the green


A chip on 4 for birdie







In the air, I knew it was too far to the right


It lands too far right...


and stops a few feet from the hole.  This is the putt I missed that made me down one.




Adjusting my sleeve, a habit for a good swing


Addressing the ball












Clubface is straight, went right down the middle of the fairway


Starting to look where the ball went




"Please be good!"


Approach shot onto the green


Reading an important putt





See it start going left









And it stops left of the hole





The match ends with him 2 up with 1 to play





Saying "good match"




Receiving a plaque for the top 16 from the year

My first middle school golf year has ended.